United for Literacy student group at UTSC is recruiting volunteer tutors (general members) for the 2023/2024 academic year!
1-2 hours a week.
Volunteer Tutors (general members)
Volunteer tutors are UTSC students or community members who can volunteer 1-2 hours a week in person at a community partner site around UTSC. Volunteers work together in a team led by one to two Program Managers and have the opportunity to build many types of skills and experiences. Volunteers work in small groups or 1:1 with youth learners under 18. To become a volunteer tutor, we complete a volunteer intake process and training as per United for Literacy policy. This includes a background check which is paid for by our parent organization.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Dependability, flexibility and open-mindedness
- Previous experience in non profits or working with youth is an asset but not required.
- Clear background check (process covered and done by United for Literacy).
- Complete the volunteer intake process (online interview, reference checks, training, knowledge check quiz and background check).
- Communicate regularly with fellow volunteers and Program Manager at the community partner site to ensure collaboration in the United for Literacy UTSC team at each site.
- Attend program each week and help youth learners with homework, learning activities and reading activities.
- Complete official United for Literacy feedback surveys when necessary.
HOW TO APPLY
Email your resume and a short note of interest to email@example.com!