The UTM Women & Gender Equity Centre (WGEC) is a student-run organization dedicated to making our campus a safer place for women & gender minorities in order to make campus safer and more accessible for women, trans, and non-binary students at the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM). Dismantling barriers that UTM students face, specifically sexuality, gender and gender identity by advocating for unheard voices , provide support to students from marginalized communities via services (such as peer support, gender affirming subsidies, and office hours), educate the student population on various topics regarding sex, gender and sexual health. It allows UTM students & staff to connect with & access a support system based on mutual respect & understanding of everyone. The office is a place where anyone affected by misogyny, sexism, or transphobia can take up space & speak freely about the struggles and triumphs of being a gender minority on campus, & receive the support they need to thrive.
What do we do?
- Office hours are held regularly in MN2285 for students to drop-in at any time. (schedule on website)
- Connect students to resources on- & off-campus including sexual & mental health support, reporting discrimination, changing student identification, baby care, & housing help
- Provide material resources such as snacks & hygiene products in the office, having a reimbursement program for reusable menstrual products & gender affirming items.
- Social, educational, & community building events. Volunteer opportunities & reference letters upon request.
- Meet other women & gender minorities on campus & make friends in the WGEC community.
UTM WGEC understands that acknowledging your struggles & asking for help are only the first steps, and they are often the most difficult steps of all. We aim to remove barriers so that you can choose to make these steps on your own terms, & the staff at WGEC will support you no matter what choices you make.